Last week I drove to Woodville, Texas -- the seat for Tyler County -- to thumb through deed books. I was looking to see what I could uncover regarding my third great-grandfather, Thomas Ard, who migrated there with his family from Baker County, Georgia around 1856, when he received 160 acres in a pre-emption grant. I found a few entries for that family, fortunately. But I also found something else that I didn't expect and was very interested in.
Rolled up and laminated at the County Clerk's office was a very large property survey map for Tyler County, dated 1965. Not only did it outline the original surveys, it also showed current surveys (as of 1965).
For several years I've had a dream of organizing a family reunion for all the descendants of Thomas Ard. Moreover, I've wanted to have this reunion on the same homestead he was granted. It hadn't been difficult to locate the property, which is currently uninhabited. What had been more of a challenge was determining the current owner(s). This map was a leap forward in that process.

No comments:
Post a Comment